Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit - Matthew 28:19
Chillicothe Baptist Church ...
seeks to serve its members by providing them with opportunities for spiritual, physical, intellectual, social, and cultural development. We seek to glorify God by fulfilling the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.
1954-1966: CBC Was Established
Rev. Darty Stowe and two summer workers came to Chillicothe for a two–week Revival meeting June 14, 1954, in the Union Hall on South Paint Street. On the first Sunday, a Sunday School was organized with 23 members.
The second Sunday, a Mission was established. At the end of the Revival, four had come for baptism and 11 by letter. The First Baptist Church in Waverly was the sponsor. Rev. Eugene Briscoe was called as the first Pastor. Groundbreaking at the property on West Fourth Street and Pohlman Road was on Christmas Day, 1954.
The Mission was organized into a church on January 13, 1955. On October 27, 1955 a $15,000 loan was granted from the Home Mission Board. Construction began in November 1955 and the dedication and the first service were held on Easter Sunday, April 29, 1956. The groundbreaking ceremony was on October 13, 1965, for the two–story $47,000 educational unit. Dedication was held May 15, 1966.
1970-1980: The Move to Clinton Road
On March 11, 1970, a 10–acre lot of land on Clinton Road was purchased with a $13,000 loan from the Home Mission Board and was paid in its entirety February, 1973. The Home Mission Board granted a loan of $215,000 for relocation to the Clinton Road property following a 2½ year study by the Plan and Survey Committee, with ground breaking April 1, 1979.
Melvin Felty Associates were the Architect, and H.E. Sudlow, the Contractor, with much of the work being done by our members. The building, with 20 classrooms, sanctuary seating 350, and full basement, costing $500,000 was ready for first services on March 2, 1980, and Dedication Services were on June 1, 1980.
1985-1989: Educational Wing Added, A Church is Planted, A Park is Established
On May 31, 1985, ground was broken for a new two – story Educational Wing with Melvin Felty, Architect, and Jim Gahring, Contractor, and with volunteer groups from Georgia and Alabama giving many hours of labor, the new wing was dedicated on October 27, 1985.
On December 9, 1985, the church voted to be the mother church and sponsor for Open Bible Baptist Chapel, a mission on the east end of Chillicothe. May 1, 1987, Darrell Chapman, who had pastored Chillicothe Baptist from 1966 – 1970, became Pastor of Open Bible.
In 1988, the church established a park on the back acreage, which had been purchased June 5, 1986. On July 2, 1989, this park was dedicated to the memory of Jess Brown.
1990-1992: Balcony added to the Worship Center
On July 18, 1990, the church in business session voted to accept the recommendations of the Long Range Planning Committee, Chairman, Bob Winegar, to enter into a stewardship campaign with Cargill Associated for the purpose of constructing a balcony of approximately 200 seats at a cost of $140,000 which included lighting, sound, and furnishings, to complete the commercial kitchen, and to retire the current indebtedness of $540,000. Allen Ballew agreed to donate his services as Construction Manger. John Hortel, engineer and Designer, drew up the architectural plans.
The Stewardship Campaign was called “Vision to Victory” and the Slogan was “Not Equal Giving, But Equal Sacrifice.” The balcony was completed and dedicated on December 9, 1990, with Dr. Tal Bonham brining the message. A note – burning celebration for the balcony was held March 15, 1992. In July 1992, the parsonage and additional property in the back were paid in full and the commercial equipment for the new kitchen ordered. Also in July 1992, the church paid the first extra payment toward the main church building.
2001-Present: New Location, New Church, Same Vision
All debts were paid and the church was debt free in April 2001. Long time dedicated CBC member John Harper came across a property on State Route 104 that was available. He immediately knew that this would be the land that God provided for CBC to build a new church on.
On November 10, 2002 the church voted to buy and relocate on 61 acres at 14000 State Route 104. In July 2007 the new facilities were dedicated.
The congregation answers the call to reach out into the Ross County Community for Christ.